On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 04:55:45PM +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 14.01.23 11:02, Chris Green wrote:
> >I use postfix on my home server and deliver mail by connecting to my
> >hosting providers' "smart host" using authenticated SMTP.
> >
> >My home system's hostname is zbmc.eu but I don't use that domain in my
> >E-Mail address, I use isbd.co.uk which domain is hosted at one of my
> >hosting providers (mythic-beasts.com).
> >
> >However most of the time I use my hosting at gandi.net to send my
> >E-Mail, so mail from ch...@isbd.co.uk originates on zbmc.eu, is
> >transferred by authenticated SMTP to mail.gandi.net and is sent on
> >from there to whatever its destination is.
>
> >As I understand it the SPF records for mail.gandi.net purely confirm
> >to a receiving mail server that the mail is coming from mail.gandi.net
> >and reverse DNS look-up confirms that it really is mail.gandi.net.
> >Have I got that right?
>
> SPF records for mail.gandi.net are checked when someone sends mail from
> @mail.gandi.net (you don't) or when server introduces itself as
> mail.gandi.net (I assume yours introduces as zbmc.eu).

Yes, my server's postfix is on zbmc.eu but since the connection to
Gandi is authenticated I assume Gandi will accept my E-Mails anyway.

> so, you should not care about SPF record for mail.gandi.net but for SPF
> record for isbd.co.uk

How does isbd.co.uk's SPF record get involved, it's hosted at Mythic
Beasts so never sees my E-Mails sent from zbmc.eu to Gandi.

> >I.e. the fact that the mail's From: is not
> >connected in any way to the SPF record is irrelevant. The SPF record
> >simply confirms the SMTP relay host's IP and that it is meant to be
> >relaying mail for that IP.
>
> Header From: is irelevant with SPF.
>
> Envelope from: is relevant and "isbd.co.uk" should have SPF record
> including mail.gandi.net or whatever mail.gandi.net admins tell you to
> include in SPF.

As above, I don't see how isbd.co.uk's SPF record gets involved at
all, isbd.co.uk is hosted at mythic-beasts.com.  I have another
(unrelated) domain registered at Gandi (that I thus have a password
there that I use to autheticate the connection from zbmc.eu)

--
Chris Green