On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 03:53:25PM -0600, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org>
wrote:

> On 1/20/2023 3:25 PM, Scott Techlist wrote:
> > I'm fuzzy on if I can block a message like the one below one using
> > check_sender_access or check_client_access.
>
> check_sender_access is the envelope sender address, the
> person/company/program who sent the mail. You can use the full email address
> or just the domain.  Note this may not be the same as the From: header.
> check_sender_access is always an email address, or an email domain.
>
> check_client_access is for the computer that connect and send the mail. It
> is identified by an IP address or a hostname. Note the hostname may not have
> any obvious connection to the envelop sender or to the From: header.
> check_client_access is always an IP address or a computer hostname, never an
> email address.

In other words, check_sender_access tests the address
that ended up being stored in the From_ mbox pseudo header:

  From
bounce-91040_html-994996332-142678-514026815-45...@bounce.s11.mc.pd25.com  Fri
Jan 20 12:40:11 2023

And check_client_access doesn't check any headers at all.
It checks the IP address of the client making the SMTP connection.

There is also the $header_checks parameter which lets you match
content in arbitrary headers. See postconf(5) and header_checks(5).

There is also spamassassin(1) and rspamd(1) for milter-based content
inspection and spam detection.

cheers,
raf