On 1/04/23 00:36, Corey Hickman via Postfix-users wrote:
Since almost every sending MTA has the queues, do I need a secondary MX for my domain email?

Secondary, or backup MXes are almost never recommended in the modern internet and tend to be a relic of the 1990s dialup internet. What is often times done for very high traffic situations is load balancing, which can be implemented similar to a secondary MX (but having the same MX priority for two or more servers instead of different priorities).

Secondary MX entries can also be used for a type of spam trap since spammers will often times try to abuse them and send directly to the secondary MX instead of trying the primary first as they should do, see "MAIL EXCHANGER POLICY TESTS" in postscreen(8) for an implementation of this.

None of this is what you are considering. If you still want to implement a secondary MX then it must have all of the same anti-spam measures as the primary server, be just as well maintained, and requires a lot of work to get right, all of this for a server which will likely see little or no legitimate email traffic. My opinion is you are better served spending your time and efforts on the primary server.

I am afraid the secondary MX was abused by spammers.

Indeed, it often is.

Peter