V?ctor Rubiella Monfort via Postfix-users:
> Hi again,
>
> I realized than same error is raised when database is in utf8 if email
> contains utf8mb4 characters.
>
> Which is the convenient database collation for postfix? We can force
> postfix to accept only utf8 characters?.

With "smtputf8_enable = yes" in main.cf, Postfix will accept
well-formed UTF-8. However, before Postfix 3.8, the Postfix pgsql:
client code sets the client encoding to LATIN1.

The client encoding is configurable (default: UTF8) with Postfix
3.8 which is to be released soon (postfix-3.8.0-RC1 was published
a few days ago).

As for the temp error becoming persistent, the Postfix pgsql: client
code returns an error when it gets an error from all of the hosts
configured in the Postfix pgsql: client configuration file, or when
all hosts have been flagged as 'down'. If a host returns an error
then the Postfix pgsql: client code flags that host as 'down', and
resets that 'down' state after about 60 seconds.

In your case having multiple hosts configured in the Postfix pgsql:
client configuration would not help, because they would have the
same error.

        Wietse