> Wietse Venema via Postfix-users <postfix-users@postfix.org>:
>
> And here is a more conservative patch for MySQL client retries.
>
> It closes the server connection after every error, and it delays
> making a new server connection only after specific errors.
>
> Closing the connection eliminates the possibility that the client
> becomes stuck.

dict_mysql.c: In function 'plmysql_connect_single':
dict_mysql.c:709:13: error: too few arguments to function 'plmysql_down_host'
  709 |             plmysql_down_host(host);

After adding RETRY_CONN_INTV to plmysql_down_host it works.
My version of 20230417-mysql-charset-patch.txt contained
plmysql_down_host(host).

Setting charset = testcharset yields:

postfix/proxymap[14072]: warning: dict_mysql: mysql_set_character_set
'testcharset' failed: Can't initialize character set testcharset (path:
compiled_in)
postfix/postmap[14078]: fatal: table
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/relay_domains.mysql.cf: query error: Application error

Mysql connects then pause for about a minute.

Introducing a simple sql syntax error yields:

postfix/proxymap[15610]: warning: mysql:/etc/postfix/relay_domains.mysql.cf:
query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax...

There is no pause, every new request hits MySQL.

Best regards,
Gerald