Thank you so much for the suggestion to review the crypto setting as this
indeed a RedHat based distribution.  I confirmed it is set to "default"
which means  “The default system-wide cryptographic policy level offers
secure settings for current threat models. It allows the TLS 1.2 and 1.3
protocols, as well as the IKEv2 and SSH2 protocols. The RSA keys and
Diffie-Hellman parameters are accepted if they are at least 2048 bits long.”

Source:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/security_hardening/using-the-system-wide-cryptographic-policies_security-hardening

The system in question was located and is an older than dirt system running
a LONG obsolete version of Gentoo.  My best guess is that the system was
accidentally powered on during a generator test due to a former employee
not properly decommissioning the system many years ago.  The configuration
change that I wrote about (disabling the STARTTLS keyword for the IP
address) did allow my Postfix gateways to route email without any issue.  I
am going to guess the age or configuration of the system is to blame.  I
have started the official process to pull the plug on the server so it can
be wiped and recycled.