I realize this is lacking information normally requested, but before sending such, was hoping for a bit of a sanity check, without seriously annoying those more knowledgeable than I.

Have working version of postfix 3.5.9 which acts as a relay for a low volume in house system, authenticating to an ISP on port 587. This I will call server A.

The postfix server is configured with "smtp_sasl_type = cyrus" and has been happily conversing for a year or more, acting as a relay for a legacy system, I will call server B.

Recently added another (VM) server to run postfix and dovecot. Got that working, following several write ups and nudges here, with "smtp_sasl_type = dovecot". This I will call server C.

Mail that is relayed from Server A via Server B is authenticated and accepted by the ISP as has been the case for a year or so.

Mail that is relayed from Server C via Server B is rejected by the ISP with the message "Client host rejected: Access denied (in reply to RCPT TO command)".

Given that Server B authenticates properly in the case of server A, one might believe it should also authenticate for Server C, since each specifically "authorized" to relay via Server B. Apparently, that belief is not well founded.

Thanks for any enlightenment.