> On Jul 6, 2023, at 2:55 PM, joe a via Postfix-users
> <postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:

>>> As expected and documented.  Dovecot is only available in the SMTP
>>> server as a verifier, it does not implement the client side of SASL
>>> authentication.  There is no problem here.
>>>
>> I'm grasping at straws at this point.  Certainly more reading is in order,
>> but AFAICT, I've followed the documentation at dovecot and postfix exactly
>> (always problematic for me to some degree these days) yet still find that
>> some users authenticate and some do not.  I can connect without issue to all
>> the dovecot mailboxes, using Thunderbird as the email client, but can only
>> receive mail for a few, the rest being rejected.
>> Those that do not are rejected as unknown user, by postfix side apparently.
>> For the rejected users, on the dovecot end (while tailing logs) nothing is
>> seen when attempting to send (to postfix from another box), while dialog is
>> seen for the accepted users using the same means.
>> Seems likely that to make progress, I will need to post the various configs,
>> but hesitate to add clutter and annoy anyone.
>
> This particular hurdle appears to have been cleared.
>
> Apparently this needed to be added to /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
>    local_recipient_maps =
>
> With that added test email is now accepted for all defined users.  Gets
> delivered, also, which is a plus.
>
> Yet, I remain wary of unseen dangers in the night.

This is the wrong solution. With this setting, postfix will accept mail to any
user address, and you will eventually have a queue full of undeliverable
bounces, plus get listed as a backscatter source.

The correct solution is to give postfix a list of all valid users. The easiest
way to do that is have all users be system users.

  — Noel Jones