On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 09:17:52AM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users
wrote:

> > First of all, changes I have made in main.cf are not being used.
> > AFAICT I am editing the main.cf that is used:-
> >
> >     ps ax | grep master => master -c /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix
>
> Yes, with "-c" the provided option value becomes the configuration
> directory.
>
> > It is almost as if the configuration being used is an amalgam of
> > main.cf in the above directory and also from /etc/postfix, but I don't
> > believe postfix does that sort of thing.
>
> To see the effective configuration, use "postconf -n" not "postconf -d".
> To see even parameters you haven't touched, use "postconf" with no
> arguments.  For folding of long lines add a "-f" option.
>
>     # Custom (non-default) settings, with folded lines for readability.
>     $ postconf -nf
>
>     # One per line, for machine post-processing
>     $ postconf -n | grep -E '^smtp_'

>     $ diff -U0 <(postconf -d) <(postconf) | less

I should have mentioned that of course you need to also specify the
same configuration directory.  Easiest to do so by setting the
MAIL_CONFIG environment variable:

    $ export MAIL_CONFIG=/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix
    $ postconf ...

--
    Viktor.