To be clear about this issue, although I object to organisations' sloppy
attitude to standards, my question here is not about the use of an address
without even an @. I use Apple Mail and that does not allow it, so I have set
it up to use user@home and that will suffice.

The issue is that this does not work on the actual mail server. I can send from
other rmachines ok, but not from the mail server itself.

Since the error stating it could not resolve 'home' I added an MX record to the
DNS and now the error says the address "loops back to myself". I forget the
exact wording as a power cut means I lost the full exact message I copied.

I don't want to involve the hosts or any other file as everything is maintained
centrally in the DNS.

It was stated that sending from a different host on the network used SMTP,
implying that it does not when sent locally on the mail server. Does
(postfix)sendmail not always use SMTP? In any case, how does that affect this
problem?

Also that the executables being run are likely to be the default ones and not
those configured for the MacOSX Server. So I will change the PATH order and see
if that makes any difference.

Any repetition here is because I'm not sure if previous emails reached the
list. External email issues have required me to change the email address I'm
using to avoid any future problems.

Ken  G i l l e t t