Yes I just want the largest polygons. The problem being that when I simplify the polygon it appears to need a lot more simplification due to these islands rather than if it just did did one mainland polygon ( asGeoJson comes in at 437 polygons rather than 1 polygon). Not sure why GeoJson can split it into multiple polygons but Dump[] just hands me one.

Was hoping to use ST_Area but currently cannot break down the single polygon.

Interestingly QGIS can, if I do single to multipart it can break down into main landmass and islands. What might be an equivalent postgis method for doing this?