Well I could say that using PostGIS ST_Intersects with "messy data" always
seems to give me TopologyExceptions.  I've had luck with various combinations
of ST_SnapToGrid and ST_Buffer(0), but with messy data there always seems to be
some weird case that requires manually edits.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad
news.  Frankly, I don't understand why the GEOS library has to throw that
error.

I would encourage you to isolate particular problems and file bug reports.
Improvements in GEOS to eliminate the underlying error(s) would certainly be
welcome.

--
John Abraham