On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Daniel Baston <dbas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any words of warning about using a trigger and storing the data on a 10
> cm
> > grid like i suggest?

Wow, thanks for the great responses. Lars Opsahl, nice to see you in the
mailing list :D
So what i gather from this is that it is not ideal to use st_snaptogrid. It
solves some problems, but it creates some new ones too.
Maybe a second geometry column would be a better idea, so that the original
is still there (and will consume your server's memory &hdd space :/ )
Anyway, there is no automatic way to solve the problem right now.

So how big are the problems that arise from this?
For me i have to say that we often have problems with errors in overlays,
and we have to keep using st_makevalid after every step of a process.
Decreasing the supersmall artifacts in the geometries would probably help
with that.
@Lars Opsahl, you describe a lot of problems or very reasonable wishes in
your presentation (link to abstract in previous mail). Do you think those
could be solved with a concept similar to fuzzy tolerance?
@Daniel Baston could you describe some of the problems that the
hyperprecise coordinates cause for you?

Cheers,

--