IIRC, postgres/gis tables are UTF-8 by default.  That's probably the best option to use to avoid hassles, and to be more stable long-term.

If you are having problems, I suspect that the issue is what encoding your source data was/is in, and what process you used to import it.

Can you do it again? What process did you use? Do you know what encoding it was in?