On 14/02/2020 12:50, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to ask, whether you are aware of any big performance
differences or any other serious reasons, why could shp2pgsql and
raster2pgsql be preferred over ogr2ogr and gdal_translate ?

Encoding of attribute tables in shapefiles is often a problem, and shp2pgsql has the -W option to help to get it right. I don't know how I would duplicate that in ogr2ogr. Maybe with some -lco incantation?

Thanks, Micha

>From the users perspective, I can use both tools on similar manner and
have no problem with "complex" gdal data model and parameters options
and I would probably prefer the GDAL tools, since it allows me to
translate between various formats without specifically care, what they
are, while *2pgsql is always Postgres specific

Maybe one missing feature of the PostGIS native tools: is there
elegant way (besides of subprocess module), how to use them in
Python(3) environment?

Thank you for clarification

Jachym
--