I did a presentation years ago on applying LRS and DS  to complex roads
management. It was fir oracle but postgis has the necessary functionality.
I could try and dig it out if you are interested.

As am aside does anyone know of any interest/projects in architecting an
integrated enterprise solution from FOSS4G components?

Simon

⁣39 Cliff View Drive, Allens Rivulet, 7150, Tasmania, Australia
(P) 03 62 396 397
(M) 0418 396 381
(W) www.spdba.com.au​