Sunny, Good question. I suspect it will be worse at least at the moment (just as PostGIS was worse when it first came out than reading from shapefile). How much worse I'm not sure. If you try and see speed issues, we can tackle them, but it hasn't really been our main focus. I suspect no one has tested it extensively as far as dishing out large datasets. The primary focus of PostGIS Raster is for analysis and then secondary is the rendering. That is not to say it will work badly or we don't care about rendering speed, just that the GDAL drivers etc. needed by Mapserver probably still have a few wrinkles which would make it suboptimal for that kind of work. The more people use it and find issues, the faster issues will be addressed since we would have data points to go by. As far as GeoServer goes, I recall reading a thread where Chris Holmes said he would work on a PostGIS Raster support for GeoServer, but not sure where that is down the pipe, but to my knowledge, GeoServer does not YET support PostGIS raster. Hope that helps, Regina
_____ From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sunny Teo Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:44 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [postgis-users] PostGIS Raster Performance List, Can anyone comment on the "Performance" of the PostGIS Rater or WKTRaster ? If you were to serve this onto a web application, how effective are they? Well, I'm talking of very large datasets like 10GB each and 100 of them. How does it compare with serving the images as files directly.. from a GeoTIFF, ECW, Sid, etc. (obviously using Geoserver/Mapserver or some specialized image serving solution) Been searching all over the web for the answers, but no luck. Hope to get some insights from the users. Thank you; Sunny.
_______________________________________________ postgis-users mailing list [email protected] http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
