Madison,

My algorithm will produce A rotated rectangle, but not necessarily THE minimum bounding rectangle. My focus was on finding the length of a polygon, then the width perpendicular to that length (and my algorithm is ok for that). JTS's getMinimumRectangle is the approach to use for a rotated MBR. Think of a square polygon; my approach will result in a larger square rotated 45 degrees from the original, whereas JTS will produce a square of the same size and orientation as the original (as would be expected for a rotated MBR).

  Sorry for the misdirection...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser