It seems to be hard-coded into Windows - no application I've tried will go
beyond around 1070 pixels... :-(

Regarding the other suggestions, I was aware of the minimize ribbon option, but
in Office 2003, I could hide the title bar, the menu bar and move any toolbar
to the side (widescreen display), so I had zero UI interface at the top of the
screen and a lot of text was visible onscreen at all times. Now the best you
can do is to remove all toolbars except the one that can be shown inside the
title bar (allowing only a limited number of toolbar icons) and minimize the
ribbon, but that still leaves at least two "lines" of UI at the top of the
screen (for some reason the title bar can no longer be hidden using window
style). I'm just not very happy with MS allowing so much less customization of
their product for experienced users.

Still, many thanks for trying to help.