At 12:45 PM -0700 2/5/2003, Bill Hatchell wrote:
>I am planning to buy a refurbished 5300c and would like to have
>recommendations from you listas re appropriate software for this
>particular PowerBook.  At this point, it is unclear what MacOS will be
>pre-installed.  I plan to do some word processing, web surfing, email,
>etc. with the 5300c.  I understand it has a 603e PPC processor but not
>sure about the ethernet and modem capabilities.  I have a copy of MS
>Office 98 and I also have an installation disc for MacOS9.0.4 but do
>not know if it will install on the PowerBook.  Would appreciate all
>recommendations re software and setup.

OS 9.0.4 will install on a 5300c.  It needs to be a retail version,
not machine specific.  Upgrading to OS 9.1 should be done.  That said
I'd suggest OS 8.6 unless you have a specific reason for 9.X.

A 5300 has no built in modem or Ethernet, but you can add them with
PCCard(s).  You can upgrade the memory to 64Mb and the Harddisk to,
well lots (I put a 20Mb in mine).

Office 98 should run on it and performance should be acceptable (I
haven't run it on that machine and am estimating performance based on
knowledge of it running on other machines).

I'd suggest Internet Explorer 5.1 over Netscape 4.X (and don't even
consider Netscape 6 or 7).  IE 5.1 is a lightly faster and a lot less
of a memory pig.  Eudora 5.1 works reasonably well on it.

Don't expect much out of this machine, it's about as slow as a PPC
can be.  I used one for a couple of years and it worked okay for on
the road usage.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA