A lot will depend on how much RAM you have and whether
you are using an older hard drive (like me) or a
newer, faster one.

I run 8.6 and I only have 24mb, but almost all I do is
word processing or the like, and even in Word, it's
not that bad.  Originally, I got online thru Earthlink
dial up using a 28.8/14.4kbps Megahertz pc card modem.
It was sloooooow. I recently picked up a
3com/megahertz 56k pc card modem that I like a lot
better. I am plugged in most of the time, so I really
have no useful input on battery life etc. I am also
investigating ethernet via pc card options.  I went to
8.6 because one of the programs I used to use required
it. It came to me used loaded with 7.5.

> I am planning to buy a refurbished 5300c ...  At
this point, it is unclear