Hi Karel, thanks for your ideas.

The only problem with your exporting idea to narrow down the offending
message is that I have hundreds of nested folders in my database, and
the culprit could be in almost any of them (the Powermail Discussions
List folder is about the ONLY folder that I can guarantee doesn't have
any HTML mail in it).

I tried to work out a way to do a search that would at least list every
HTML-bearing message in my database, but couldn't see how to do it.
Mainly because the 'Content-Type' header for HTML can be any one of
several different things, depending on how the message is put together.
I thought I'd try searching for any message who's content did NOT
contain the phrase "Content-Type: text.plain" (which assumes that the
'Content' parameter in the search dialogue box includes headers, which
is not explicitly stated). But discovered that you can't search for
'does not include the words...' unless you are also searching for some
other condition as well -- why is that? Makes no sense to me. Surely "I
want to find all messages that DO NOT mention Aubergines" is a perfectly
reasonable example of a search request? Maybe not one that would be used
often, but why lock it off unless the user puts in other conditions as well?

So I tried the following:
Content ... includes the exact phrase ... Content-Type
Content ... does not include the words ... "text/plain"

I also tried it without the apostrophes around text/pain. Neither search
gave the result I was after, both showed me lots of messages that had
the headers (otherwise the second line of my search criteria should
ensure that those messages would not appear in the search results). Yes,
I had Show Full headers turned on, in case it mattered.

Anybody have anything to suggest? How can I perform a search that will
find every HTML carrying message in my database (but not the plain text
ones)? And, more to the point, how can I ID the specific virus carrying
message out of a database of over 38,000 messages?

Rick
--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.4.3  ::  PM 5.2.3  ::  3 pane mode

Shark Attack: A Design Studio
<www.sharkattack.co.uk>