Thanks everyone for all the good advice!

After religiously backing up my entire mail folder,
I compacted my mail database.  The entire process
took about 15 minutes, much less than I had feared,
and trimmed the database size from 1.9 GB to 481 MB.
Yay!  This gives me more breathing room before I'm
forced to export older messages to a separate db.

                                -- marco

--
It's not the data universe only, it's human conversation.
They want to turn it into a one-way flow that they have entirely