>If you never quit PM all your trashed email will accumulate in the Trash
>of PM - it has been times that when I finally quit PM I had more than
>4,000 messages accumulated and that will take a while to delete. If you
>accumulated 67,000 email, you haven't quit PM in a long time. You can
>keep the Trash slim and trim without quitting the application by going
>from time to time under the menubar, powermail, empty trash.

Marlyse, this is the strange part about the situation occurring: I quit
PM every evening and empty the trash several times a day by using the
equivalent keyboard shortcut under the menubar, PowerMail, Empty Mail
Trash. When I moved some 40/50 messages to the trash folder it resultes
full of 67,000 messages (!)

>...as you do seem to have some anormality...
Yes, there's no doubt about this fact

>Then I would launch PM with the combo keys held down - I forget always
>what they are and have to fiddle around myself, I guess it's something
>like option+command while launching PM. In the dialogbox I would choose
>first just compact. That might take a while. Then  I'd quit and do the
>same startup procedure and now I'd select verify database, reindex
>etc.... all nice maintenance options. Usually I'd do it all in one run
>through, but as you seem to have some other, unhandled problems, I'd go
>with that, even though I do not know if this improves anything.

This worked fine! The Message DB shrunk from 1.91GB to 47.5 MB and,
better of all, the messages in the trash folder are now visible.
Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

In any case, thank you Marlyse for your help
PM is now working better. Definitively.

Giovanni Andreani