Bob,

Yes, technically that accomplishes having the attachment somewhere else,
but now you've got two copies of it. Not only is that inefficient in
terms of storage, but if it's an editable document, you now have version
 control issues.

Option-dragging does work, and it's great that the feature is there, but
it's something to be used on occasion; I would not accept that as part of
SOP daily workflow, which I *believe* is what Dr. Dave was talking about.

And it still doesn't address the larger issue in this thread of PM losing
connection with attachments even when they're not moved, and their being
no way to repair or re-attach them when they loose that attachment.

Respectfully,

Steve

On 5/4/05 at 10:38 PM, Bob Moody ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:

>======================
>Dr Dave, thank you for your message.
>=========================
>***REPLYING TO YOUR MESSAGE QUOTED BELOW.  REPLY IS ABOVE YOUR MESSAGE***
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>REPLY:
>Single click on the attachment icon at the bottom of PM window. Option
>drag this icon off the corner of the email message to the lower left hand
>corner of the desktop.  Now you still have the attachment in the
>attachments folder, attached to the message.    Plus you have a copy on
>the desktop to put anywhere.
>
>Wed, 4 May 2005 10:46:29 -0700 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>==================
>
>>Sure. If I rename an attachment, or move several attachments together
>>into a folder; they  lose connection from the email message that they
>>come from. Pretty weak.
>>
>>I can't say for sure if my old emails (2004) lose their connections to
>>the attached files by themselves or not, because I eventually group all
>>the attachments together by year (at least) so as to keep the current
>>attachments folder less cluttered & easier to find recent attachments.
>>Best,
>> Dave Nathanson
>> Mac Medix

>5/4/05
>>
>>>On a related not about file references, I've noticed over time that PM
>>>has lost file reference integrity. An example: I got pics from a ski trip
>>>from a friend; when I went back to find that picture, PM thought the
>>>enclosure was an html file - clearly wrong. I had to root through the
>>>Attachments folder manually to find the jpg I was looking for. This is
>>>not uncommon with older mail.
>>>
>>>Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
>>>
>>>Steve

Steve Abrahamson
Ascending Technologies
FileMaker 7 Certified Developer