Hiro,

PM is using the most convenient encoding. So if the sender used UTF-8
and the message contains characters which can be displayed only using
Unicode, PM will use Unicode in your reply. If you send a message using
only ascii characters, PM will use the smallest possible encoding for that.
You can set of course for every language family the encoding to UTF-8.
I'm not sure, if PM send will force using UTF-8.

All the best

Matthias

Admilon Consulting GmbH
http://www.admilon.com