Following on from the posts (partially-) quoted below, I can confirm the
following:

1.  My PM alert sounds have disappeared again (a few hours ago in fact,
no idea of the trigger).

2.  The Mac's alert sounds are also kaput -- no 'whoop' in iChat for
example, and nothing heard if I tinker with the Sound Effects panel of
the Sound Prefs Pane (changing the alert sound or moving the Alert
Volume slider, for example). So it is not restricted to PM.

3. iTunes plays fine as do QT movies.

4. Changing the Output Volume (whether via the Output Volume slider in
Sound Prefs Pane or by hitting my vol up/down keys) does still deliver
the 'volume change' feedback noise.

5. Neither changing PM's alert sound in PM prefs *nor* changing the
alert volume in Sound Prefs Pane causes anything to be written to
system.log, according to Console.

So... where does this leave us? Is it unrelated to PM? Or is PM
triggering an audio alert fallover at system level? It's a bit beyond my
diagnostic skills at this point.

Rick

--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.4.7  ::  PM 5.5.1  ::  3 pane mode

Shark Attack: A Design Studio
<www.sharkattack.co.uk>