powermail-discuss Digest #2608 - Sunday, April 15, 2007

  From Emailer to PowerMail
          by "Joe Hallett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Re: From Emailer to PowerMail
          by "Don V. Zahniser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: From Emailer to PowerMail
From: "Joe Hallett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:50:16 -0700

I've been considering a change from Emailer to PowerMail for about 2
years. On March 1st of this year I made the switch. Now after a month of
really using PowerMail, here is my wish list - if PowerMail already can
do some of these things I would appreciate your tips! Thanks.
========
Logs - recent mail - any way to retain dated lists of messages that
arrived in predetermined time periods

Save Text to Many - this Applescript can be very handy for creating
searchable text from selected mail or the contents of a folder- for
example - all mail related to a specific  trade  show or product.

Filters - I understand the value of using a stop filter but it would be
helpful to be able to run a sequence of filters after the stop...not
just single filters

Where can I find a succinct description of synchronizing between the PM
address book and the Mac address book

Is there a place to see mail database statistics - number of folders &
messages?

My wife and I share access to one PowerMail installation. It would be
really helpful to be able to toggle our two default sending accounts by
a single keystroke...or perhaps be able to tab into the account box when
setting up an outgoing new message  - now we leave the sender blank &
select it from the Account pulldown list

Is there a list of Applescripts other than those provided with PowerMail

Is there a way to mark incoming messages as "read" (checkmark) after
they have been automatically forwarded by a filter without losing the
indication that they have been forwarded

I would like to be able to open the mail browser from the recent mail
window by clicking on a toolbar icon

Joe Hallett
Tualatin, OR USA

Let me see if I can help with some of your wish list:

On or about 4/14/07, Joe Hallett wrote:

>I've been considering a change from Emailer to PowerMail for about 2
>years. On March 1st of this year I made the switch. Now after a month of
>really using PowerMail, here is my wish list - if PowerMail already can
>do some of these things I would appreciate your tips! Thanks.
>========
>Logs - recent mail - any way to retain dated lists of messages that
>arrived in predetermined time periods

The Find function has date fields.  You can find messages received or
sent before and/or after specific dates or time windows.  From the
toolbar, click and hold on the Find (magnifying glass) icon and choose
'Search Messages...".  For best (fastest) results, make sure that you
have indexing turned on in the preferences.  The Find function also
seems to 'remember' the last search you did for each of the listed categories.

>Save Text to Many - this Applescript can be very handy for creating
>searchable text from selected mail or the contents of a folder- for
>example - all mail related to a specific  trade  show or product.

Not really sure what you are asking for here, but again, the Find
function has many options for searching for text.  You can highlight
text in a message, Choose Copy (or Command-V) and open the Find dialog.
Your copied text will be displayed.

>Filters - I understand the value of using a stop filter but it would be
>helpful to be able to run a sequence of filters after the stop...not
>just single filters

I haven't found the need, but you can have an Applescript perform filter
functions, and run that as an action at the end of a filter.

>Where can I find a succinct description of synchronizing between the PM
>address book and the Mac address book

Go to the Help menu, and choose "Manual...".  There is a brief
description of this in the section on Preferences.

>Is there a place to see mail database statistics - number of folders &
>messages?

Other than an AppleScript for counting messages in the database (see
source below) I don't know of anything.

>My wife and I share access to one PowerMail installation. It would be
>really helpful to be able to toggle our two default sending accounts by
>a single keystroke...or perhaps be able to tab into the account box when
>setting up an outgoing new message  - now we leave the sender blank &
>select it from the Account pulldown list

That's how I toggle between sending accounts.  Are you sharing one Mac
User account as well?  If you each have a User account, you would each
have your own PowerMail user folder with your own mail.

>Is there a list of Applescripts other than those provided with PowerMail

There are some at:

<http://www.ctmdev.com/support/>

Hit the 'Tools' tab and then the 'PowerMail' button.

>Is there a way to mark incoming messages as "read" (checkmark) after
>they have been automatically forwarded by a filter without losing the
>indication that they have been forwarded

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  You can assign a label to a
message in a filter, and so have it 'tagged' as filtered...

>I would like to be able to open the mail browser from the recent mail
>window by clicking on a toolbar icon

Yes, that would be nice, but try Command-Control-B

Hope this helps...

 - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser