powermail-discuss Digest #2673 - Friday, August 3, 2007

  2GB Limit - every week, don't understand the figures
          by "Christian Roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: 2GB Limit - every week, don't understand the figures
From: "Christian Roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:21:46 +0200

Hi,

I'm now hitting the 2GB database limit once every week. What I do not
understand is how 10,000 messages received nowadays do fill up 0.6 GB,
when 190,000 messages received in the past only occupy 1.3 GB. Because
that's what I am seeing:

1. When the 2GB limit warning shows, my Message Database file is usually
1.82 to 1.87 GB in size.

2. I then delete unneeded messages and do compact the database, which
yields a Message Database file of regularly 1.2 to 1.3 GB.

The database now has about 190,000 messages in it. From this point on,
receiving a week's worth of messages (incl. tons of Spam this is about
10,000 messages here), the Message Database is again at 1.8 GB size!!!

Why do the last 10,000 messages take up so much more space to store (10
times as much!) than the existing 190,000 messages?

I am aware of the "keep several database environments and use Foxtrot to
do the search" workaround to the 2 GB limit and some others, but nothing
beats having all the messages available at your tips from within the one
and single natural place: PowerMail itself.

I have searched for alternatives, but am not sure if I'd be better off
with Apple Mail, which has the #1 missing feature from PowerMail:
Intelligent folders.

To CTMDEV: Do you plan to address the 2GB limit tranparently to the user
(don't care about the underlying implementation, e.g. distribution of
data to several DB files)

Are there any new ways of dealing with the antiquated 2GB limits not yet
discussed here? If so, I'd be eager to learn them, as the situation with
a weekly DB compaction starts to become unbearable to me.

Regards, Christian

End of powermail-discuss Digest