powermail-discuss Digest #2744 - Sunday, November 25, 2007

  Re: problem with PM search function
          by "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Re: PM Scripts "Apply to selected text" - don't! Late response
          by "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Thanksgiving
          by "A-NO-NE Music" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Re: Thanksgiving
          by "Richard Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Re: Thanksgiving
          by "Tim Lapin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: problem with PM search function
From: "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:16:12 +0100

Rick Lecoat said:

>On 23/11/07 (23:46) MB said:
>
>>Indexes are such things I, and I suspect many users with me, generally
>>would expect to be rebuilt without user intervention in most cases.
>
>So whilst it
>might be okay to automatically rebuild indexes in the background, the
>user *should* IMHO be given an indication that it is going on, in order
>to prevent them from quitting PM or shutting down their mac or whatever
>mid-process.
If the user is not supposed to be informed that the index is missing,
which is the current behaviour, then it's logical the rebuild should
take place in background. It shouldn't be silent about the problem,
however. Silence on something that affects basic functionality and leads
to Powermail to display incorrect search results is unacceptable. Is
there a point in letting that happen ever? I don't see one.

I find it important that if the user deletes the index he/she should be
prompted about the consequences and asked to choose between appropriate
options.

>perhaps letting people choose the time by initiating it manually is not
>such a bad idea, just in terms of being courteous to the user.

Well, what I was proposing wasn't that the user shouldn't be able to
affect the rebuild process at all, but rather that it shouldn't be a
requirement that the user should have to know that deleting the index
file will *not* result in a fully rebuilt index. Now PM silently startup
and does not inform the user. That's really bad behaviour!

Actually not even in the search dialog does the user in with a deleted
index get to know that the search index needs to be updated. Which is
odd. It just silently says nothing was found. Didn't it used to be that
PM informed about the situations with the index and asking whether one
wants to search with the out-of-sync index or first index unprocessed
messages and then perform the search? The user can go weeks before they
realize they need to manually rebuild as it works now. At least in my
short test I got zero information from PM, even after I had fetched a
load of new messages. PM didn't even perform the common pre-firstsearch
index update, which I find odd.

I was advocating that the user that had deleted the index should at
startup or even the minute the index file got missing if running
already, be prompted with appropriate information, asked to put it back
- perhaps by the asking the user where to look for it-  or to rebuild it
from scratch. This whether it happened intentionally or not. If none of
the two options of relocate or rebuild was chosen, possibly by the user
canceling the dialog, PM could be used without an index. but the user
would at least be informed something needed to be done at some point.
Then at certain times for example at startup PM could remind the user
that a rebuilt index was needed to retain proper search functionality.

Mikael

Technoids:
PM 5.5.3 build 4480 sv / SpamSieve 2.6.4 sv | OS X 10.4.8 | Powerbook
G4 / 400 | 1GB  | 80GB

Subject: Re: PM Scripts "Apply to selected text" - don't! Late response
From: "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:27:08 +0100

Christian Roth said:

>is it just for me or do the bundled PowerMail scripts under the section
>"Apply to selected text" NOT just apply to the selected text, but to the
>whole message text always?

Well, it's worse, the "unquote" script works on the all text but the last row.

Subject: Thanksgiving
From: "A-NO-NE Music" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:05:41 -0500

Every year some of PM list members enjoyed my Christmas music.  This
year I added Thanksgiving music.  It's an arrangement of a hymn as I do
with Christmas music.  Here is a live recording clip from last night:
<http://www.anonemusic.com/node/827>
Y'know, we can play Christmas selections on all the shows during the
season, but Thanksgiving music can be played only if the show is close
enough to that Thursday!

Hope you enjoy!

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>

Subject: Re: Thanksgiving
From: "Richard Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:51:09 -0800

Very inventive. Thank you for sharing with us. Especially the tuba!

I like the player you display. Is that DewPlayer?

Hiro wrote:

><http://www.anonemusic.com/node/827>

RH

From: "Tim Lapin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:30:39 -0500

On   Sunday, November 25, 2007,   A-NO-NE Music   sent forth:

>Every year some of PM list members enjoyed my Christmas music.  This
>year I added Thanksgiving music.  It's an arrangement of a hymn as I do
>with Christmas music.  Here is a live recording clip from last night:
><http://www.anonemusic.com/node/827>
>Y'know, we can play Christmas selections on all the shows during the
>season, but Thanksgiving music can be played only if the show is close
>enough to that Thursday!
>
>Hope you enjoy!
>
>--
>
>- Hiro
>
>Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
><http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>

Very nice!  Once again you have added something special to this
community.  I thank you.

However,  there seems to be a display problem with the page, at least on
my wide screen iMac.  It appears that there is some text that is cut off
above the "HOME" and "Contact" options.  I can only see the bottom tips
of what looks like text.

I'm using the latest Firefox.

--
Tim Lapin