Thanks for the suggestions.

I went ahead and re-downloaded the mail, then deleted the duplicates.
(Luckily I just had a speed upgrade in my internet connection.)

The issue was definitely with PowerMail, as my email account (at my
internet provider) does not keep track of whether or not mail has been
downloaded to PowerMail. Clearly PM keeps a log somewhere of what mail
it has downloaded and not. When I deleted the Mail Accounts setup in PM
for downloaded mail I am sure PM also deleted the list of mail it had
already downloaded.

PM is apparently not smart enough to see that two Mail Accounts have the
same POP settings. This is why I only set up one of the two Mail
Accounts to download mail - if both had been set up PM would have
downloaded each message twice. (Again, I had two accounts set up due to
a change in how my internet provider accepts sent mail.)

My main email does not have IMAP.

Thanks again.

- Winston