Interesting idea, Chris.  Metadata or folders could solve the issue.  Of the
two, the metadata idea seems more efficient.  One of the big problems with
attachments are all those image files that are included in HTML style mail:
such as little emoticons, stuff in the headers and footers and even background
images.

Perhaps a better idea would be to maintain a separate index file for the
attachments.  Basically a simple database, each record would include sufficient
info to recreate the links to a specific email message.  That way a simple
search for subject or date would be all that is required to determine whether
or not a given attachment is orphaned and to which e-mail it once belonged.

As far as the spinning beach ball goes, I don't think it would be too bad.  I
just checked my attachments folder.  It has just under 3,000 items and it took
less than 5 seconds to display.  I have the last of the white iMacs (circa
2007) with the maximum amount of RAM (3 to 4 GB).  Assuming an equivalent Mac,
it should take less than 30 seconds to display just under 14,000 items.

--
Tim Lapin
t...@sympatico.ca