Peter Lovell wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 2, 2012, Rene Merz <...> wrote:
>
>>Peter Lovell wrote:

>>>Hi Rene,
>>>
>>>I expect that spammers will harvest all addresses in email and not only
>>>those in the body text. In other words, if you have ever posted to this
>>>list, your address is known.
>>>
>>>Regards.....Peter
>>>
>>>p.s. the reply setting are the PowerMail default, and not anything I
>>>have set myself
>>>
>>No, Peter, you are mistaken, there is no other way to find out the mail
>>address of any member of this mailing list! The addresses are not listed
>>publicly somewhere.
>

>I'm sorry Rene, but your statement is incorrect.
>
>Your email address is clearly shown as the "From" address in the reply
>you just sent. You are correct that the address list is not available,
>but the address of any poster to the list is available to all members of
>the list.
>
>In fact, this is *exactly* why your address was shown in my earlier
>reply -- it was the "From:"  address in the email, and that's why PM
>inserted it in the reply-heading to which you referred.
>
>In other words, if anyone has ever posted to the list, their sending
>address is known to all subscribers. Addresses of *members* may well be
>private, but addresses of *posters* are not.
>
>Regards.....Peter

Of course, Peter, the address of every reply is shown as "sender", but for
members of this list only. This is not the problem at all!

But if you write the address into the text, then it's shown publicly, because
there is a public site which shows all messages and threads -- to EVERYONE on
the internet!
See: <http://www.mail-archive.com/powermail-discuss@ctmdev.com/>
Your example:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/powermail-discuss@ctmdev.com/msg17936.html>
(There my address is obliterated only in a poor way; it's very easy to complete
it.)
And THIS is the problem.

You got it?