I haven't found a direct way, but what I just discovered helps a little.

Right click on a photo and select Edit with:Preview. The pic will open with
Preview. From Preview click the icon next to the image name in the title bar
and drag it to PowerMail in the Dock and it'll create a new email. Or if you
have an email created already, you can drag it to its window.

Tom Dillon
Moab, Utah