On Oct 29, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Sulabh Bista <sul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Murphy. That helped.
>
> I noticed (with the dpctl show command in Mininet CLI) that two switches s1
> and r1 have the same DPID. Should DPID be unique or is this behaviour ok?

Nope, not okay.  They're supposed to be unique and it says so in the spec.

> I checked the source where dpid is being generated automatically and it shows
> that the dpid is derived from the number in the switch's name. So, s1 and r1
> has the same dpid '0000000000000001'.

Yeah.  It's convenient to have them match up when it works out nicely (e.g.,
when all your switches are named s*).  When it doesn't work out nicely, it's
just wrong.  You should override the default DPID selection.  (And Mininet
should really refuse to do this in the first place!)

-- Murphy