Hi, Murphy,

See my inlined answers

--
Nan Zhu
School of Computer Science,
McGill University

On Monday, December 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Murphy McCauley wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Nan Zhu <zhunanmcg...@gmail.com
> (mailto:zhunanmcg...@gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Murphy,
> >
> > the epoll-enabled pox is working properly
>
> Cool. Thanks for letting me know it still works. It's due to get refactored a
> bit at some point (this has been the longest-open github issue for POX),
> after which it should probably get a commandline switch (I've added a note to
> this effect on the issue).
>
> > The only issue is that pox still sensitive to the connection rate,(I
> > mentioned in the other thread)
> >
> > I started 2880 switches and encountered connectException (sometimes
> > connection reset by the peer) until I send only one connect request per
> > second….
>
> 2,880 simultaneous connections hasn't been a use-case we've seen a lot of...
> so the code certainly hasn't been tuned to make this work well. In general,
> the switches should retry every few seconds, so it's possible the few people
> who work with large numbers of switches (including myself on very rare
> occasions) have just relied on this.

all these switches are software implemented, so yes I will try to add some
retry code to my implementation

> Here are some questions:
>
> * Are you saying you get different types of errors? Can you send snippets
> from the POX log?

I’m running some other experiments for a submission, after I finish that I will
reproduce this and send you the log

> * Which side do you get the connection reset by peer on (the POX side or the
> client/switch side)?

switch side

> * Do you generally get roughly some number of connections just fine before
> you start having problems?

Yes, if the number of concurrent connections is around 720, I can connect with
a rate of 10 per second

> * Do you really need to slow it down to one per second? If you double the
> rate (one per half second) or double the number of connections (two at a
> time, once per second), you have problems?

yes, in my testbed, my software switch will throw ConnectException after around
300 connection have been established

> And here are a couple things to try (alone and together):
>
> * Run POX (dart) with the experimental --unthreaded-sh option (at the
> beginning of the commandline). Any difference/improvement?
>
> * Increase the socket backlog in of_01.py's call to listen() somewhere around
> line 874. On modern Linux, this can probably be up to 128 by default, and
> higher with some tweaking. Any difference/improvement?

I will try it