From:Laïla Macharis [mailto:laila.macha...@vub.ac.be]
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 9:50 AM
To: Laïla Macharis
Subject: Call for applications for 6 PhD researchers (Brussels)
The Institute for European Studies (IES) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
(VUB) calls for applications for six full-time doctoral researchers. The IES is
a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence whose research strategy focuses on the EU in
an international setting. The six PhD positions relate to:
* Migration, Asylum & Diversity, as well as Information Society (one
* A new joint research project of the IES and the Department of
Political Science at the VUB on “Politics beyond the State: Representation,
Coordination and Accountability in Multi-Layered Settings” (three researchers,
one of which is to work at the Department of Political Science);
* A research project on European and international governance through
regulatory complexes in the area of genetic resources (access and benefit
sharing; funded by the Flemish Research Council FWO) (one researcher).
* The successful candidates will have an MA degree with good study results.
They will be fluent in English and have a thorough knowledge of European policy
and/or law. They will be selected on the basis of the quality of the project
proposal and on the basis of their expertise and qualifications.
* Candidates will need to fill in and send the forms that are available from
the website of the IES (www.ies.be <http://www.ies.be> ) (either in MSWord
format, or in PDF format) and send a full CV, a list of publications, an
outline of their proposed research (max. 10 pages!), at least one letter of
reference and a copy of their most recent diploma.
* Successful candidates are expected to base themselves in Brussels and work
at the IES/the VUB.
* The deadline for applications is: 07 June 2008 (for posts to be taken up as
of 1 October or as early as possible thereafter).
* The successful candidates will receive a research grant for one year
(extendable to a maximum of 4 years). Prolongation of the contract is subject
to the agreement of the doctoral committee. Remuneration is at the level of a
full time research assistant at a Flemish university (i.e. approx. € 1.600,00
net per month) and includes contributions for social security / insurance.
Employment is on a full-time basis only, and secondary employment is not
* Applications need to be addressed to the Academic Director of the Institute
for European Studies (address below) before 07 June.
For more information regarding this call for applications and the related
research projects see www.ies.be/iesvacancies
Institute for European Studies, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2, B-1050 Brussel (Belgium)
Fax: +32 2 629 1809
Laïla Macharis | Management Assistant
Institute for European Studies
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 (office: Pleinlaan 15, 5th floor)
p.+32 (0) 2 629 18 07
f. +32 (0) 2 629 18 09