EARLY REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sunday 31 July 2011

VL/HCC 2011
IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing

September 18-22, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
http://vlhcc.org/

The mission of the IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and
Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC) is to support the design, theory,
application and evaluation of computing technologies and languages for
programming, modeling and communicating, which are easier to learn,
use, and understand by people.

This year, VL/HCC is taking place on September 18-22 in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. In addition to the usual excellent technical program
(see http://vlhcc.org/program), we will have a number of special
events.

* We have two exciting keynote speakers. Jeannette Wing, professor and
head of the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University,
will talk about "computational thinking," which involves solving
problems, designing systems, and understanding human behavior by
drawing on the concepts fundamental to computer science. Brian Powell,
chief software architect at National Instruments, will discuss the
history and design of LabVIEW, one of the most successful commercial
visual programming languages. It is especially appropriate for Mr.
Powell to present a keynote this year, LabVIEW's 25th anniversary.

* Carnegie Mellon is hosting a Poster and Demonstration Dinner
Reception on Monday night, featuring over two dozen posters and demos
from the proceedings, our corporate sponsors, and CMU students and
faculty.

* The conference's Grand Reception on Tuesday is hosted at the
National Aviary, a unique facility which is the only independent
indoor non-profit zoo in the U.S. dedicated exclusively to birds.

HOUSING FOR STUDENTS: Christopher Scaffidi will help pair up students
who want to share rooms. Please e-mail him at
cscaf...@eecs.oregonstate.edu.

We are excited about this year's VL/HCC conference, and we hope you
will be able to attend. Don't forget that the early registration
deadline has been extended to Sunday, July 31.

Please visit our web site at http://vlhcc.org to register and for more
information.

Also come join us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/vlhcc and Twitter
at http://twitter.com/vlhcc.

See you in Pittsburgh!

James Lin
Publicity Chair
VL/HCC 2011
http://vlhcc.org

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity
in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).