See notice below. Get those abstracts flooding in!

As it says, abstracts to ppigwip1_2...@mdx.ac.uk by 5th December 2014.

(please note: the advertised symposium on teaching and learning programming has
been postponed to summer 2015, owing to my administrative headaches)

Richard Bornat

Psychology of Programming Interest Group – Work-in-Progress Workshop (January
8-9, 2015)
School of Science and Technology, Middlesex University (London, UK)

The ninth PPIG Work-in-Progress Workshop (PPIG-WIP) will be held in the School
of Science and Technology at Middleses University on January 8-9, 2015.
PPIG-WIP is a forum in which researchers at all levels can present and discuss
future work, current work, recent results, findings and developments.
Experienced researchers and practitioners, as well as doctoral students, are
equally invited to participate.

PPIG, the Psychology of Programming Interest Group (http://www.ppig.org), has
existed since 1987. Its meetings are unusual in that they are inclusive rather
than selective, encouraging rather than judgemental, conversations rather than
displays, they promote ideas rather than authority, they would rather celebrate
contributions than force them to compete. For all that, our purpose is to
improve cognitive theory by stretching it on the rack of programming and,
vice-versa, to improve programming by looking at it through the lens of
cognitive theory.

Past workshops have involved discussion on issues ranging from the design of
programming languages to communication problems in software teams, and from
computing education to high-performance professional practice. There can be no
exhaustive list and we have recently discussed learning mathematical
formalisms, creativity and digital design, understanding websites, and live
coding in the laptop music world. We cover everything from theoretical
perspectives drawing on psychological and social theory to empirical
perspectives grounded in real-world experience.

The 2014/15 Work-in-Progress Workshop will be held in the School of Science and
Technology at Middleses University in London. The London-centred design of the
UK’s transport system means that Middlesex is accessible from anywhere in the
country; the London-centred design of its political system means,
unfortunately, that getting there won’t be cheap.

Abstracts of submissions should be submitted to ppigwip1_2...@mdx.ac.uk by 5th
December 2014. In the spirit of PPIG, they will be very lightly reviewed.