Begin forwarded message:

Date: 6 March 2015 19:04:34 GMT
From: Kate Howland <k.l.howl...@sussex.ac.uk<mailto:k.l.howl...@sussex.ac.uk>>
To: Ben du Boulay <b.du-bou...@sussex.ac.uk<mailto:b.du-bou...@sussex.ac.uk>>
Subject: CFP: Every Child a Coder? An IDC'15 Workshop

Dear Ben,

Please could you forward this CFP on to any contacts who you think may be
interested in our Interaction Design and Children
2015<http://idc2015boston.org/> workshop - Every Child a Coder? Research
Challenges for a 5-18 Programming Curriculum<http://everychildacoder.org.uk/>

Thanks!

Kate

--

Call for Participation:
The current drive in many countries to teach computing to all from an early age

We seek position papers from designers of programming environments for
children, developmental psychologists, educational researchers and
practitioners, and others with interests in this area, which address key
questions such as:

  *   What, if any, are the precursors to computer science skills and
understanding and how can we foster them?
  *   Can we draw on knowledge from other subject areas (such as mathematics)
where conceptual pathways seem more clearly understood?
  *   How can we ensure that foundational concepts are refined and deepened
over time (e.g. similar to Bruner’s spiral curriculum).
  *   What is the relationship between programming and computational thinking,
and are there any trade-offs regarding which should be the primary educational
focus?
  *   How can we design programming tools and curricula that are
developmentally appropriate and foster motivation throughout childhood?

Workshop activities:

  *   Position papers and discussion
  *   Hands on overview of current tools (during breaks)
  *   Road map activity: participants work in groups to draw a road map of the
developmental stages in computational thinking, based on developmental theory
from psychology, mathematics education and empirical work in computer science
education.
  *   Whole group plenary: discussion and identification of gaps in knowledge
and research in the field.

Expected outcomes:
After the workshop, the organisers will work with participants to develop the
road map, and key areas for further research, into a paper for the
International Journal of Child Computer Interaction.

Dates:

  *   Submission deadline: March 30th 2015
  *   Notification of Acceptance: April 13th 2015
  *   Workshop: June 21st 2015

Location:
The workshop will take place at the IDC’15<http://idc2015boston.org/>
conference at Tufts University, Boston, MA

Website:
The workshop website is at: http://everychildacoder.org.uk/

Submission instructions:
Position papers should be a maximum of 4 pages in SIGCHI Extended Abstract
Format<http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform/sigchi-extended-abstracts-format-2016/view>,
 and should be emailed as a PDF file to:
everychildacoderid...@gmail.com<mailto:everychildacoderid...@gmail.com>
We are happy to accommodate school teachers and industry professionals who wish
to attend the workshop, but do not want to submit a position paper. Anyone in
this position should send an email to the above address explaining why you
would like to attend, what you hope to get from the workshop, and what you hope
to contribute.

--
Kate Howland
Lecturer in Interaction Design