Miguel,

I'm new to this list. I do research in software engineering (SE), with a focus
on
aspect-oriented software development. I subscribed this list in the hope of
obtaining answers to various questions/doubts regarding how human mind works.

To explain it briefly, I would like to know what (cognitive) psychology has to
say
about concepts related to the human mind that are important for SE. Typical
examples
include complexity, generalisation and abstraction, though in time I hope to
cover a
few others.

I had the same aim when I started writing a book a while ago.  After
quiet a bit of reading I cam to the conclusion that cognitive psychology
has not yet reached the stage where it is in a position to start to
answer this question.
You can download various material I have written on the topic at:
www.knosof.co.uk/cbook

A first topic I would like to bring this list, if I may, is about complexity.
The
concept is constantly brought about in SE (and I'm sure in many other fields).

Complexity is certainly a key issue.
See Sweller's work on cognitive load.  A good collection of
links is available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_load

Also see Jacob Feldman's papers on Categorization and concept learning
http://ruccs.rutgers.edu/~jacob/papers.html

I don't know of any worthwhile SE papers (all of which tend to
wave their hands claiming that the described techniques reduce
complexity).

--
Derek M. Jones                         tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]