Martin and all,

Good points....I shall also pop up from lurking.  In addition to being
cautious about domain dependence for complexity issues, I think that user
experience/background can also be an issue. Engineers, programmers, nuclear
power
plant workers, etc. often tend to have much more tolerance for, enthusiasm
about, and experience with complexity than some other folks might.  Something
keep in mind when testing.

Complex problem solving is an increasingly hot topic these days. Books such
as Sternberg and Frensch's "Complex Problem Solving: Principles and
Mechanisms"  (1991, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates) or David Jonassen's "Learning
to Solve
Complex Scientific Problems" (2007, Taylor & Francis Group) may be helpful
to lead to additional reference trails. The IEEE web site is also a good source
 for information on metrics for software complexity. And there is work on
design cognition within the field of design studies....including "design
complexity" for software engineering.

Sorry I don't have more specifics....my focus at the moment is largely on
instructional design cognition, but issues of complexity are common to all
areas
 of design. The literature tends to be scattered across cognitive science,
design studies, education to some extent, and all of the engineering  fields....

Sue Rothwell
Ph.D. Candidate, Information Science and Technology
The iSchool at Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY  USA

In a message dated 10/10/2008 2:16:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,