A question to the OP: is it true that the choice must be between C, C++
and Java? Or might other languages be considered?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay McCarthy [mailto:jay.mccar...@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 April 2009 13:21
To: Bennett Kankuzi
Cc: Ppig-Discuss-List
Subject: Re: Choice of introductory programming language to a freshman
class

I've had a lot of success using the How to Design Programs textbook
(http://www.htdp.org/), which uses a series of Scheme-based languages
explicitly designed for beginners. The TeachScheme, ReachJava!
(http://www.teach-scheme.org/) curriculum uses this book in a
two-semester sequence where students learn programming in the first
semester with HtDP and these Scheme-derived languages, then transition
to Java and objects in the second semester.

I'm happy to provide additional help getting you running in this
curriculum if you'd like.

Jay McCarthy

--
Jay McCarthy <j...@cs.byu.edu>