Hello PPIG,

James Stanier and I are recent graduates from the University of Sussex, now researching compiler design and running a peer learning programme respectively. We've both taught Java to students, are interested in computer science education the psychology of programming and have recently been introduced to this list.

We're presently thinking of running a study of students' experiences of computer science education over time. Our speculation is that practical courses have an immediate return but will be considered less valuable in the long term, whereas more theoretical courses, which may not be as immediately gratifying, take longer to payoff.

We're doing pilot interviews to gauge students' feelings on the matter and wondering if anyone knows of research of this type that's been done before, or of any related literature that touches on this matter?

Best wishes,

Ollie

Ollie Glass
PAL Coordinator