On 11/05/2011, at 10:25 PM, Paola Kathuria wrote:

> 2) is a call to an existing function "re-use"?
>
> I've been the PHP developer for the-racehorse.com since 2006 and
> have produced over 30,000 lines of code. However, I'm calling
> some functions written earlier in new code? Is that counted as
> re-use?

Yes.

> 3) is using an open-source CMS code "re-use"?

Yes.

> 4) Is using a CMS "re-use"?
>
> This year I'm working as a contractor as "Drupal Developer". Drupal 6.*
> is such that most site builds consist of going through configuration
> forms created by third-party modules. I'm working on a multi-lingual
> site but I've only written 500 lines of code and that's for managing
> custom login with cookies. I don't think that spending days installing
> and configuring modules in forms is development. But is it software
> re-use?

If you are using software that was not developed for the project at
hand, it is re-use, whether you can see the code or not.

> 5) Fashion changes
>
> Over time, people's choice of programming language evolve. PHP,
> Python, Ruby on Rails, Java, you name it.
>
> Software re-use presumably assumes a consistency of language.

The implementations of these languages themselves re-use a lot of
code, and many of them provide ways to pull in compiled code.  In
2005, "PJE on Programming" wrote:

        But it's the impure libraries that give (C/J/Iron)Python
        most of its current value!  Be it database access, number
        crunching, interfaces to GUI toolkits, or any of a thousand
        other uses, it's the C, Java, or CLR libraries that make
        Python useful.  CPython is basically a glue language for
        assembling programs from C libraries, and to the extent
        that Jython and IronPython are successful, it's because
        they're glue languages for assembling Java or CLR components.

Once upon a time I used to moan to classes about how little reuse we
did; now we have so much to reuse that a major part of our effort is
*finding* the stuff (and yes, installing/configuring once found).

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).