Hi Derek,

A good question, I should certainly add a "what is live coding" page
on the website!

I recommend a browse around the TOPLAP website (http://toplap.org/) to
get a feel for the kind of activities that go on in this community.
Music performance is a preoccupation, but there is also a lot of
activity in education, video animation, choreography and software
engineering.

But really live coding is a community and a set of techniques, and it
depends. My own preferred way of live coding is either in a nightclub
setting, with people dancing to my code (see http://algorave.com), or
in an improvised jazz situation where I'm coding alongside a
percussionist.

This Dagstuhl report is probably the best intro to the state of the art:
  http://drops.dagstuhl.de/opus/volltexte/2014/4420/

Here's some links to media coverage:
  http://yaxu.org/interviews

That said, live coding at a hackathon is exactly what I'll be doing
this weekend:
  http://kairotic.org/hack-the-city/

There are sometimes time limits for live coding, for example in Mexico
City they have events where people live code music from scratch, for
around 5 minutes at a time.

Best wishes,

alex

--