Thanks for the second link, Luiz.  So one indicator for your assertion that
there's much room for improvement is the marginal or marginalised role of
human factors in software practices (which is certainly my impression).

That, in itself, doesn't indicate a realistic sense of what can actually be
expected by way of improvements.  But is there much to indicate anything
unique about software practices vis-a-vis culture and psychological
development?  I can think of three, (1) perhaps there's a case for arguing
that some software practices have the depth of a vocation which has yet to
have any ethical-professional basis of regulation.  (2) Perhaps programers,
as a sociological force, can be analogised to the weavers who read
literature as they worked, such as the open source movement.  (3) The kinds
of psychological tensions that programmers are exposed to through the
employment of culturally and historically new forms of production.

>From my perspective the medium that fosters such transformations (or that
inhibits them by its lack in my experience) is that elusive medium we
sometimes call culture.  Companies and (so called) educational institutions
can be equally poor at fostering that.

With respect to your referencing human factors, I would add Vladimir
Zinchenko to your mentioning of key influencers within human factors work
harbouring from the 70's (and earlier).   In 1979 Zinchenko was writing
about the necessity to include scope for psychological development within
the engineering of jobs as part of the assessments required in human
factors / ergonomics.  Zinchenko stems for a psychological school which
studies personality as it is related (genetically) to culture and human
activity  -- not so much the psychology of rocket science as the rocket
science of psychology (IMHO).

Nice chatting,
Huw