Andrew,

I think that learning code quality (as opposed to just functional

Code quality changes with context and is a complex subject that
is driven by to much personal opinion.  I would stay away from trying
to teach this.

Learning to code is a contact sport in that it requires lots of
practice.  It would require a very large increase in student workload to
make students truly proficient at coding.

The problem I used to have with fresh undergraduates (fortunately I
rarely have to deal with them these days) is that they have been taught
the wrong set of priorities and it takes time for them to unlearn them.

I wish that economic issues played a major role in what was taught.
All this mathematical purity nonsense needs to be ditched ASAP (there
are way too many failed mathematicians teaching computing).

correctness) is something which needs to take place with a mixture of
reading/deciphering code vs writing it and getting it reviewed. Providing
the latter is really hard work and academia doesn't have the funding to do
that properly. I've partially automated that kind of assessment but the
bottom line is that the best option for a uni student is to find an open
source project to contribute to which has both dirty code and mentor to
push them through it.