On 16/06/2015, at 2:01 am, Derek M Jones <de...@knosof.co.uk> wrote:
> The problem I used to have with fresh undergraduates (fortunately I
> rarely have to deal with them these days) is that they have been taught
> the wrong set of priorities and it takes time for them to unlearn them.
>
> I wish that economic issues played a major role in what was taught.
> All this mathematical purity nonsense needs to be ditched ASAP (there
> are way too many failed mathematicians teaching computing).

Can you elaborate on this?
If we're interested in the psychology of programming,
we have to be interested in what programming *is*.

I regularly encounter programs that
(a) don't work under the current version of Windows or Java or whatever
(b) loses access to a device (upgrading to iOS 7 made my iPad forget it
had a loudspeaker; the machine I'm typing on stopped believing in the
existence of mice for a while)
(c) breaks a major feature (Apple's Mail program has a search feature
which mysteriously stopped working at the beginning of the year and
nobody here knows how to fix it, so I use a Web interface to search
and Mail to read..., and this has not changed from 10.8 to 10.9 to 10.10)
(d) have major security mistakes
(e) has never worked over the documented range of inputs
(f) rejects valid input (like the way the country-wide teacher-
payment system would not accept names with apostrophes in them
for several months)
and there seems to be no difference between open source software
and commercial software except for price.  There seem to be a lot
of Svens out there.  (Scott Adams' "I think software should HURT
the user" Sven.)