On 17/06/15 15:17, David Barbour wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:43 AM, spir <denis.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you noticed the official retraction of "the camel has 2 humps", a
good comment bu "retraction watch" on that fact, and that very "smart"
(lol) paper by Jeff Atwood (of coding horror) about the story:

Jeff Atwood's article is dated 2006, after the original paper. The
retraction in 2014.

That said, the original article was obviously bad science anyway. A simple
alternative hypothesis to explain the same evidence: some people came into
the class with more knowledge of programming, and the teacher allowed the
others to fall further behind.

My comment: How easy it is to confirm our ideologies (here meritocracy =
elitism = aristocracy) by scientific research (or what we call so).

Not just scientific evidence or data. People tend to read whatever
interpretation they want into scripture and anything else. The difference
is that science demands empirical evidence that can be independently
studied, and falsifiable theories, such that 'bad science' is less likely
to survive from one generation to another.

I agree; however in principle; this is the science i wish were here. What I meant (but I agree I said it very badly) is that we easily, in fact ofen blindly and thoughtlessly, accept as supposed science whatever confirms our ideologies (I fall in this trap myself very often). Conversely, any nascent theory, however well supported by data and research, that questions our dogmas, will be harshly fought by supposed scientists themselves; or by whatever caste has the power over "knowledge", is the holder and guardian of "truth".

Anything "scientific" must be today doubly doubted, because today "science" is the teller of truth, thus the main veil and vector of ideologies (of dogmas, norms, judgement...). It should not be so; science should be the opposite (and scientism pretends it is, funnily by being themselves the best counter-example of prejudices in science, instead of observation & thinking).